Translate

24 March 2019

Fire Performer Lida Siskou (Santazilia)


Street Painting Team Meets ... Fire Performer  Lida Siskou (Santazilia)



Photo by Vagelis Poulis 



-In Greece 2019, THE STREET ARTIST talks about, Street Art -Fire show-Street Theater-Juggling ... and more.




The Street Painting team met Fire Performer-Street Artist Lida Siskou at a literally hot meeting.


Photo Street Painting Team

... And since Santazilia ( artistic name) gave a Fire Show on the road for us, put down the flame, sat down to talk with us about her work and herself.





 What happpens in the past when it's gone? - Nothing .... It's only memories and pictures that we keep with us in the future ............

-What is your profession?


First of all I declare i am Human being, I have finished Journalism and my profession is Fire Performer - Street Artist –Actress-Dancer.

Lida - Fire Poi
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgegounezos/

-How did you decide to become Street Performer? When did you started?

I started in 2004-05 in Thessaloniki. The beginning was completely random as I saw a performer at a party. So I started making myself, my first games. There was no one to teach at that time and i was looking for help watching  the videos from the Internet. The first year was very strange I didn’t know exactly what I was doing, I was experimenting.
Slowly, more and more Juggler began to gather in Thessaloniki, so the Macedonian University gave us a place and invited a group of people to teach each other to show what they know . This space was also open to the Students and for the world in general. The purpose at first was not the job, it was about hobbies, to entertain our friends and to get along well.

Now after 15 years I continue to have things to teach but also to learn.

Photo by George Mastro | Studio Μελενίκου — at Old City Co. At Athens Horror Festival



- How does it depend on where to find your post?

In street theater, it is not necessary that the artist will be at one point and has different forms, one of which is the ''Open''. The ''Open'' is when you play in open Public spaces where you perform your performance. Another is the ''Taratsa'', where it ranged from space to place where people usually sit. You make the show for a few minutes and then you leave. It is also  determined where will be safer and not disturbing those around you.
I'm looking for safety distances, so I can handle it if something happens. One of the reasons I choose my points is where there are children, and they can see the show people who would not have the opportunity or the financial possibility to watch something like that.



- What is the reaction of the world in general and especially when the hat comes out?

Showing  the hat in the end of the show ,is not easy for anyone.
After the Show with the fires, which is impressive for many people, there are few who will dislike. It depends on where you play, how much your audience is, how many times they have seen it, etc. Human society has many kinds of people.Some people gives whatever they have others don't , that  do not trouble me so much , they can often gives what they have, one candy, one penny and one pacifier. There are great people out there that can make you feel great.
Sometimes also there  are different kind of people who will make you feel bad.Someone walked past me in the middle of a Show and told me to ''BURN'' and not ironically or for fun, another asked me "Are you not ashamed?"
Naturally  I have nothing to be ashamed of, I have a degree in Journalism, I have learned so much in my life in the context of Private Education and this is what makes my living.

Our generation studied and learned things, but it's not always easy to live through it. I did my hobby Profession and Profession my hobby. If I am a Waitress or Actor or what I have studied has the same financial gain, i choose paranoia!

Photographer: Alkis Moraitis � http://alkis-moraitis.com/ �


- Group or individual?


I started playing alone on the street and this has the sense of Freedom, on the other hand it is fantastic  to play with friends and perhaps more secure.
Most street artists,  Performers or Musicians, we feel a group with each other and usually there is a consensus and of course a solidarity. Even if we play in the same city, we share the posts. There are of course  artists who do not share the team but are not the majority.
The goodthing  in the crisis is that we virtually opened ourselves, we got what we need and we are moving on  ...



Photo by Giannis Karachalios | Studio Μελενίκου — at Athens Horror Festival.




- Do you physically need a lot of effort?


The work is tedious, and to get to know it farther you need to workout, the performance itself is a workout, especially in the summer that can last for up to 8 hours.
The jugglers are a demanding job, even if i burn myrself ,i do not show it and i do not stop, the fire is real and you ow to respect it.
As an artist, I would like to say that in other countries, Street Theater, is Culture. In Greece may be starting now, on the one hand there is no longer a law for our persecution, on the other some Municipalities still try to limit us to cans.
The street artists offer to Society and Culture, we are educated people  make they living by doing what we love.



Photo by George Icek

S.P.T.  Lida thank you very much for sharing with us and we had a beautiful conversation.

 information: Santazilia@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment