Translate

14 August 2019

Spyros Stefanakis


Διαβάστε το άρθρο στα Ελληνικά 

The Street Painting Team Meets ... Spyros Stefanakis




We had the pleasure of meeting Sculptor Spyros Stefanakis, whose work has adorned Matala of Crete for years. The TREE that stands tall proudly overlooking  the historic caves of this unique village.





Spyros Stefanakis comes from Rethymnon, and is now a tradesman with shops in Rethymnon and all over Crete and is trading all over Greece.


How did your passion for sculpture began?

I was 18 years old when by chance I found myself  at a sculpture exhibition in Heraklion.There, something  influenced me to try it too. So back home, i took a knife and a log from the fireplace and made a simple figure, that was it! The next day I went to buy tools, chisels, hammers ... From then on and whenever I find time I curve. I have anxiety ? Do I have pressure? I make a sculpture and go beyond it. I haven't studied anything related and I'm not a sculptor in the profession, it comes out of my soul.
I have a case with 5 tools and where I travel I carry it together, Where I go and make a  small sculpture. Sculpturing  is what makes me good. I forget everything, makes me happy, it  helps your soul!


Regarding the size of the wood ,let's say, what do you prefer?


I can do everything but I prefer the big pieces. They require a lot of work and are more impressive. Also my favorite is the olive wood, the olive water shape is more beautiful. On the other hand the cedar is very good wood and smells beautiful. I collect the woods from nature and especially from the beaches.


What attracted you to Matala?

Some years ago I was going through a lot of personal difficulties and my business was very confused. I lost everything in my life. In my quest to find a way, I left for China and stayed there three years. Eventually I did not find it there and returned back , i ended  up in Matala to find myself. I had no income anywhere, so in order to survive, I made small sculptures and some beach stones and sold them on the street to the Tourists. 



Along the way I loved the place and some people. For the few friends i made there, I felt the need to leave something  in that place. The little things in Matala and a few friends the wine we drank, the sunset ... helped me find myself.


Tell us about the story of the Tree, how you chose it and what it depicts?

There was an olive tree in Pitsidia in a field I had seen. They intended to cut it and make it firewood for the fireplace, 6 tons of wood. This tree is 600 years old and went for firewood. There I thought, it is a shame! Then I approached the President of the village George Vozikaki , if it were to transfer to Matala and myself i could offer something  for the area. So it happened, a crane came and transported the tree to where it is today. To start my project.



The main themes are 4 Gods of Olympus. Dionysus is the god of joy. Next is Zeus, the center of the world, what was then to me Matala, Poseidon by the sea and Hermes to spread the culture to the world.



What were the reactions of the people in the process of the work?

At first I had a number of reactions. People were taking  hundreds of photos as i shaped the wood and giving me congratulations and courage, there were also funny reactions. Someone said then, seeing the first form of Dionysus take shape, that I was making demons in the village and they must expel me.
I also encountered many difficulties ,beyond the weather. I had made half the  job and as I was on the olive tree, the Police came and stoped me:
- You are under arrest.
- But why?
- Because you don't have a license.
- What do i need the license  for ?
- License to work
-But, I'm not making any money out of it!
-Unfortunately we have received a report.

So I spent one night in the detention center!



But in the meantime there were people who brought me a raki, another two tomatoes, another his smile. You know, you are an artist , you do not want much and you will not be rich.
After the report, I did nothing again for six months. I was disappointed, everyone knew it was a donation and it saddened me a lot.
In time, the next Matalas President, Fasoulakis Dimitris, came. He took the initiative and asked  me to finish it. And i thank him for that. If it were not for him that tree, it would have been half done. So it took about 2 years to complete to its final form.


How do you feel now that the community has this Tree as a great attraction?

When the project was completed, and after it had become famous and entered both the media and the newspapers, the Municipality had told me to put up a plaque with my name, the Creator's name. Unfortunately this never happened, and to tell you the truth this is my big complaint. The fact that the trademarked Tree has become cards has become t-shirts, newspapers and channels in Greece and abroad have approached me and made references to this particular project ... None of the local community has publicly thanked me. I was told since the first festival in 2011 even, i would invited as guest of honor, nobody  called me and in none of the coming festivals.


Who owns the Sculpture?


It belongs to the Municipality, which is also responsible for maintaining it with the proper antifungal it needs every 6 years, but no one does. Fortunately, however, it is in good condition, as it is by the sea. Winter salty especially, kills the bacteria.


Spyros, after thanking you as a team and for the interview and telling you a Public thank you on our part, not only for Matala but for the heritage, one last question.

What would you like for your future?

I want to have a good time. My job is going well, I have nothing special to ask for. Everything goes smoothly and from time to time i wish to carve some wood.




No comments:

Post a Comment