Translate

31 March 2019

Street pahotographer Michail Kyriakakis


"A picture speaks a thousand words..."
Street Paintign Team Meets .... STREET PHOTOGRAPHER Michael Kyriakaki (JAHMIC)


Photo: Gabriel Koutoulias


How it feels to go with the camera on the road and all the world is open in front of you?
Images that are forever imprisoned as a unique moment through the art of street photography.



photo: jahmic_kyriakakis



Street Photographer Michael Kyriakakis spoke to Street Painting Team about how he perceives, with his own look, the daily stories of Athens through his photographic lens.
photo:jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Nozo1



Jahmic is originally from Piraeus, a native of Symi and Mani. On the occasion of our meeting, we walked together in the painted alleys of the city center, and we got a taste of how he faces this experience



photos: jahmic_kyriakakis

-How did you start working on photography?

Years ago I had the misfortune of staying home after an accident for about 1.5 years. So I got a camera and started to capture everything around me, spending my time.

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Achilles

Then I found a friend whom I consider "Medore", Gabriel Koutoulias, a professional photographer with a rich biography and many years in the field of photography. He saw in me that I had a sensitivity and a special look so he gave me the boost. More specifically, I remember telling me: "You see things that most go unnoticed." Gabriel suggested to me people who would help me to see the world even better. So I discovered the photographer, Platon Rivellis, who has been dedicated and has offered a lot in the field of photography in Greece.

photo:jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Epsilon k alone98


- What inspired you to the street photo?

First of all, it was street art ... This is due to the hip hop music I was working on, which is directly related to the graffiti ideology. Others went out to paint and to others to imprint it in other ways.

photos: jahmic_kyriakakis

Since 2010 i have  a large collection of photographs which I consider to be documents. Walking in exactly the same places, the pictures I had taken no longer exist, everything changes, that's the interest.


photo: jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Insane 51


Street art has this culture, being exposed, vandalized, changing. That's why the street photo shot me. To tell you my truth, the walls of the city have more stories to tell you than the people walking on the street. The whole story of Greece lies on the streets and walls of its buildings. However, the road gives me a sense of freedom, now that everything around us is constrained.

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Dionisios pappas


- What makes a photo interesting, a good shot or the fact it catches?


Who sets a good photo? I think every photographer describes itself on what he will put on his frame. For some it is the fact for some others the picture itself.

photo:jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Skitsofrenis

-Is it a personal affair or would you like to share?

It is clearly  personal affair and since I have not been in the process of making an exhibition, I do not even get into the dilemma of what to shot.
I do not know if I would make an exhibition in the future, by publishing my photos in social media, of course i expossed myself. The fact that this is not my main profession, gives me the freedom to move without any particular limitations to my lens, and not thinking about whether it will appeal to the public.

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Fl1p


-How you feel, going out on the road and the whole world is opening in front of you- Is it all candidate models or does something have to ''call'' you?

Photo walk does not always mean a good photo. My models are not people always ?! People keep defenses watching the camera! My models are anything that catches my attention. Perhaps a chair, a painting or a balcony with torn tents. The urban landscape mainly. Everything can be a picture, it is the world as I understand it, it irritates my eye.

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis


-What is your opinion,in case of someone uses your photo without your permission?

At the times I know, that it has happened to posters for shows, they asked me and put my name, also some teams dealing with streer art and street photography write who the photographer is !!!
Mostly I have contact with @ inexarchia.gr, @athensstreetartofficial and @jj_urbanart where I am a member !!!!! I'm glad for that and in a way I feel lucky, let's say !!!

photo: Jahmic_Kyriakakis
Street Artist: Canvas



 I initially put my signature on the photo. Now I'm not doing it anymore and I support it, I do not like it anymore, it spoils my picture. If someone wants to get it, they will take it with or without a signature. The photo will always be my own  perception. What I am concerned about, is immunity. In general, I believe it is right to mention the name of the Creator.
I believe that in the year 2019 it has been degraded and misunderstood, the Art of Photography and photography in general.

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis
Street Artist: Achilles
-"Take pictures as much as you can and even once in your life will prove to be the only thing left by some moments is a photo" !!!

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis

We discovered Jahmic through his photos @ inexarchia.gr, in a survey we made about street art. His photos also include @athensstreetartofficial and @jj_urbanart

Michael Kyriakakis, along with photography in recent years, maintains a bar  name "TSATI" on the beautiful island of Symi

photo: jahmic_kyriakakis



Thank you very much Michael for the beautiful conversation and sharing, Beautiful pictures from us.



                             Instagram                           Facebook page               Jahmic Photos : VIDEO

No comments:

Post a Comment