Translate

12 March 2020

     Street Painting Team meets painter PUPET




When you look at  PUPET's painting you can't miss his unique style.We had the honor of collaborating with him as a street art team in Crete in the summer of 2019 where he created a huge Mural.
Serious and measured as a personality he accepted us into his Atelier and gave us an interview about his work and his own perspective on things that concern every artist of his generation.

PUPET was born in Athens in 1983. He lives and works in Athens. He studied at the Athens School of Fine Arts from 2004 to 2009.
An artist with many exhibitions in his biography and many murals in Greece and abroad.

"Purple June” CRETE 2019
Shot by : Auryn F. Photography.
What inspires you about human subjects and you often choose it as your theme?
At first I like the female figures, the faces and so on. In general, the human body is very interesting in painting.You can play with the tones, analyze the muscles, exaggerate a little. Of course I am interested in other topics, such as a landscape and from time to time I study these too.


Embracing loneliness 06

What are your specifications for the models you choose?
The point is to make you the "click". I am open to finding models who will be willing to discuss it and be available to take on, weird poses with things I have in mind. It is certainly not easy and unfortunately it does not happen so often.

Pathological dependence
In some of your paintings  you choose yourself us subject, what motivates you?
The canvas depicting me is mainly a matter of situations happening in my inner world. Sometimes they have a serious and other more playful approach. It comes as a natural consequence and not so much to show myself.

Inner self shot: Auryn F. Photography
Do you think the Painting Exhibitions attract a specific audience who will be prospective clients or is mainly Public Relations?
I think it's mainly public relations. Everything is pretty much a theater of the absurd, and that's why sometimes I choose to be distanced.  
My first contact with Gallery was in 2009, and I don't think much has changed since then. Galleries usually ask for 50% off the potential sale of the project. That's how it works.I've felt very uncomfortable in Galleries being "pushed" to talk to specific people because it's so important. Unfortunately or fortunately I do not feel comfortable in such situations and I believe that it is not my job.The artist's job is to set his soul on the canvas. Personally, if I finally need to talk to a person who is interested in my work I will do so, on my own. Promoting  is another profession, and not an artist job in my opinion. In no way i could  pretend to be a communicator.

The fight. 
              Mural inside Atelier 15 for thegroup exhibition with   Auryn F. Photography and The Quick Brown Fox


The "Circle" is bad and not so much is the painters fault. There are good and bad painters. But how to put it ... it's a bit corrupted, judging from my own experience of course. On top of that, there is no Art Education, of what is good or bad! The right criteria does not exist.

Étude d'une petite souris
In your opinion then, does the public have lack of Education?
Of course! All this excessive use of social media has done harm. Suddenly everyone has become a painter. Something is wrong I think. How does someone finally, get promoted and he/she thinks that is a unique artistic personality?

Study
This doesn't work for you?
I don't want to make the clown, is this the right way to succeed? That's how unfortunately we work here. And in the end this way of impersonal promotion happens in all sectors, not just in painting.

Mural in Leipsoi island for the project- Colour in Greek islands
When it comes to murals how do you choose the right place, what are the criteria?
I do not aim and it is not an end in itself to expose any of my murals to crowded places, at first I do it for myself. It could be an abandoned building or difficult to access.Above all i l like to be calm, to have the freedom to soiling as I wish. I also like being outside in nature on my own, lets say like a kind of meditation. Afterwards I can expose my work. Half-ruined buildings that have a natural wear are beautiful canvases.

The letter shot : Auryn F. Photography

And how do you think the name PUPET is now recognizable in the art of murals in large part to the general public?
What can I say, I do not know. I don't want to talk about me. I have some readability, but honestly what I enjoy is that some people have approached me and came to my workshop to buy some of my paintings.In essence, without to much blah blah, those who really appreciate my work are the ones who contacted me and came to find me. If this is recognizability then it's a good thing.

Work in progress

The thing that you have  managed, to make each of your projects technically clear that this is a  PUPETS painting, is not recognizability?
If this really happens, then I am very happy. My style  has evolved, since I started painting I have tried many techniques. What I want now is to do serious painting and not something that looks plausible.

Giannis Ritsos - Mural in Agios Eustratiow island for the project- Colour in Greek islands

What is your opinion about the organizers, who are involved in street art and in a way, they are an intermediary between the artist and in any building and its owner?
There are not many, and here again they do not work for the artist. There's also this new thing, the Street art walks.They charging people and guiding them to see Graffiti and murals in Athens, without informing any of the artists about it of course,.There are even private walks that cost even more, so just another exploitation.It is oxymoron that some people that repeatedly earn by someone's else's work, who is struggling to survive on his own. Street art should be Free for All, and not just another opportunity for making money.

Heart of Athens Graffiti Festival
Are you happy with the financial gain when you make a custom mural?
Most of the times, yes, i get what I ask for. It depends on the artist as well, unfortunately there are some artists who ask for very little and harm the rest of us, but on the other hand the market is free,
so ... When I was at the beginning and more excited I did some jobs without getting what i wanted, but after some point there needs to be a measure.

shot:Auryn F. Photography
Are the Murals in your future business plans?
I think it always will be, but now in the background. Even though earnings have been good in recent years I think it's a little bit tiring for me now. After all, most of the murals I've made, i did them on my own, and I'm not talking about the artistic piece that is my pleasure, but the rest of the job, carrying, painting with large poles ,climbing on the stairs... and other dangerous activities.At one point my hand was so tired that it took me a year to heal and be able to continue. I grew up, i'm no longer being a kid and beside that i am not doing so well with heights. I think my involvement with canvas and more essentially painting has now come to the forefront.


             info@pupet.eu                  PUPET            instagram.com/stelios_pupet



No comments:

Post a Comment